USA’s World Cup Opposition: Weekend Wrap
- Algerian Captain Yazid Monsouri and FC Lorient were crushed by league leaders Bordeaux 4-1 in Ligue Un.
- Nadir Belhadj scored a spectacular first half goal in Pompey 2-0 victory over Liverpool at Fratton Park. The build up play was started by Beljadj’s Algerian team mate Hassan Yedba, who also had a solid match.
- Karim Matmour was out injured for Borussia Monchengladbach. He typically starts alongside Michael Bradley in the midfield.
- Karim Ziani went the full ninty minutes for Wolfsburg, as the reining German Champions wrapped up a disappointing first half of the season in a 2-2 draw versus Eintracht Frankfurt.
- Abdelkader Ghezzal went a full 90 in Siena’s 1-0 loss to suring Palermo.
- Hamuer Bouazza and Blackpool’s English Championship matchup with West Brom was postponed due to snow.
- Kamel Ghilas was an unused sub for Hull City in the 3-0 loss to Arsenal.
- Madjid Bougherra went the full 90 in Rangers’ SPL thrashing of Motherwell.
- Mourad Meghni played 58 poor minutes for Lazio versis Inter before being subbed out.
- Wayne Rooney played the full 90 in Manchester United’s 3-0 loss to Fulham
- Frank Lampard scored a penalty kick goal for Chelsea in the 1-1 draw with West Ham. John Terry, Ashley Cole and Joe Cole also played a role in the match for Chelsea.
- Gareth Barry set up a goal for Manchester City in its 4-3 victory over Sunderland. Shaun Wright Phillips went out injured early in the second half, while Wayne Bridge missed out with injury.
- Emile Heskey was injured in the 24th minute of Aston Villa’s 1-0 win over Stoke. James Milner and Stewart Downing also played key roles in this match.
- Peter Crouch scored twice for Spurs in a 2-0 win at Blackburn. Jermaine Defoe also played a role in this match.
- Steven Gerrard played ninety poor minutes for Liverpool as the Reds were beat at Fratton Park 2-0. Glen Johnson played a decisive role with poor defending that allowed both Algerian players on Pompey (a group opponent of England) to look good.
- Theo Walcott made a late cameo for Arsenal with a 3-0 win over Hull City, already secure.
- Robert Koren and West Brom’s match versus Blackpool was postponed.
- Rene Krhin was an unused sub for Inter in a 2-0 win over Lazio
- Milivoje Novakovic scored twice for Koln in a 3-0 win over Nurnberg. Miso Brecko also played well in this match.
- Zlato Dedic played the first 45 minutes for Bochum before being subbed out versus Hannover and Steve Cherundolo.
- Bojan Jokic of Sochaux’s match was postponed due to snow.
- Samir Handonovic of Udinese’s match was also postponed due to snow.